Friday, February 8, 2013

Laundry room organization

I consider myself a fairly organized person.  With 4 kids, I've felt this urge to purge and to be more organized.  We decided to start with the laundry room but since I needed Mark's help with a lot of it (Elfa installation) and he had a big project due at work, I sidetracked with other projects....I've gone through all of B's clothes and shoes and sorted out the items that are too small (stored now for K and R) and purged all of his socks that mysteriously lost their mate.  I reorganized the desk drawers and cleaned out under the kitchen sink.  Last week, Kate helped me go through the game room and Barrett's room.  I literally dumped out every bin or bucket of toys into a huge pile and sorted everything.  I threw out a full trash bag of junky stuff.  Don't tell Barrett.  I have somewhat of an obsession once I get my mind set on something!  It drives Mark crazy.  :)  Back to the laundry room...not only do I do the laundry there but we come and go through this room as it connects our house to the garage so we use it often.  Of course, whenever I decide to get organized I go to the Container Store which is probably my favorite store. It's definitely in my top 5.  I just love it so much!  We decided to do Elfa shelving and there is no better time than now when it is on sale for 30% off!  We have Elfa in our master closet, the nursery closet and we have plenty of freestanding Elfa drawers.  We really love the versatility and functionality and knew we couldn't go wrong.  We also decided to repaint.  We wanted a slightly lighter color so I went to Sherwin Williams and bought a lighter rose color.  Turns out it was PINK.  Imagine little girl, princess room pink.  It was awful.  I had cut in most of the room and painted around both doors before we decided we hated it.  I went to Lowe's and asked them to match the color we had originally painted the room in 2009.  Thankfully they were able to do that and so I repainted the pink areas and gave the whole room a fresh coat of paint.  I also repainted all the trim.  WHEN did I do this you ask?  During nap times for the past week or so.  Mark installed the Elfa on lunch breaks and evenings.  

I should have taken "before" pictures before I cleared out all the stuff on the shelf across the top.  Picture it completely filled with stuff.
Another "before" picture but again, imagine the shelf totally filled with stuff and the paint stuff not on top of the washer, however, there was other stuff there.
We stacked our front loaders and this is now to the right of the washer and dryer.  We have so much more space!
This is to the left.  We put in a hanging rod so we could hang clothes as they come out of the dryer.
The top area.
This is the lower area to the right of the washer and dryer.  There are two basket areas for each kiddo.  One for their backpack (diaper bag for trio) and below it there is one for their shoes!  The little white things are name tags for each kiddo, color coded of course!  And a place to hang bike helmets!
This is below the clothes bar on the left.  More shelves and two drawers!
Our key/charger organizer from Pottery Barn.  We've had this for a while but it just seems way better now that everything else is better!

View from the house door.
View of the left side.
On the back wall to the left of the washer and dryer.  So perfect for cleaners!

We just love it and we both find ourselves walking in there just to admire how great it is!  We don't get out much. :)  Next up on my to do list: garage reorganization, craft room purge and guest room closet reorganization. I'm sure I'll think up some other to do after that because I clearly don't have enough going on.  LOL!   It's like I try to create more work for myself.

1 comment:

Sara Thompson said...

The laundry room looks great! :)