Saturday, February 2, 2013

How did that happen?

The babies were scheduled for their Synagis shots today (helps to prevent RSV).  Mark has a big project due at work on Monday so my sweet mother in law Sheron went with me to Medical City.  After I dropped her back off at her house I realized my gas light was on so I stopped at the new RaceTrac on Renner Rd.  I popped my gas thing, got out of the car with my credit card, left the car door open, and started pumping gas.  I heard the car door shut but didn't think much of it because it was really windy and I figured the wind blew it shut.  I walk back to the driver door and open it.  Except it didn't open. It was locked! WHAT?!  How is it locked?!  I didn't lock it!  I see the car keys sitting on the driver seat and my phone sitting on the console.  I quickly scan the locks of the other doors.  All locked.  Panic.  The babies are all in the middle row...thankfully sleeping soundly.  Hesitantly, I run inside the station.  I could see the car the whole time and the doors were locked so no one could get in.  I called Mark and told him what happened.  He had a call scheduled at 1pm plus I knew it would take at least 20 minutes for him to get there with extra keys.  The gas station attendant called a locksmith...25 minutes. Not gonna work.  So I called 911 and the Plano Fire Department arrived within 10 minutes and got to work.  They wedged open the top of the passenger side door and used this stick thing to try and push the unlock button.  No dice.  They moved to the driver side and tried the same thing but it wouldn't work!  I think they were unable to get enough force with the stick thing they were using.  Finally, they decided to try and push the unlock button on the fob on the driver side seat.  It took about 10 minutes but they finally got it!!  Sweet relief.  The babies were totally fine.  Annabelle started to cry when I mobbed her with kisses but quickly went back to sleep.  I'll never again get gas without having my keys in my hand.  I still have no idea how the door got locked but I am so thankful for the Plano Fire Department and that my babies are ok!  Had it been hot outside I would have busted a window myself using the fire extinguisher on the gas pump at the station.  Thankfully I didn't have to do that either.  Praising God for cool weather, helpful firefighters and healthy babies!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can totally see you in this situation. Should I break the window or try to get help :). The things we'll do for our kids! Good thing they slept soundly. Can't wait to see y'all!