Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Boob Flu
I am finally feeling 100% again. Last week, I had mastitis. What is mastitis? I have dubbed it "boob flu" but it is basically an infection in a breastfeeding mom's mammary gland(s). On Tuesday night I started feeling pretty bad and had some soreness on my right side. I was really achy and had a hard time sleeping too. On Wednesday morning, I didn't feel any better so while feeding the troops I researched on my phone and diagnosed myself with mastitis. I had all the symptoms. Aches, shivering, fever, hurting boob, etc. I've had friends that have had it before so I knew that's what it was. Thankfully (after several calls trying to get into a primary care doctor) I was able to get my ob/gyn to call in an antibiotic for me and I started those on Wednesday afternoon and will finish them tomorrow! I'm even more thankful that two friends, Jeniffer and Angela, were able to come help with the 11am feed. Mark took the afternoon off and helped out and Mark's parents came that night to help with the bedtime feed. My fever was as high as 101.3 and those times were the worst. Once my fever came down I would feel a bit better but then it would spike again. At points, I could barely move without crying. It seems like a cruel joke for a nursing/pumping mother to get this! What do you do?? There are still babies to be fed and loved on, bottles to be washed, laundry to be done, 5 year old to be fed, milk to be pumped, etc.! I'm so blessed to have friends around with serving hearts that can help out in a pinch. Thank you! I'm praying I never get this again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So sorry about the "boob flu" we treated a TON of patients for this when I worked at a general surgeons office because sometimes, if left untreated, it can get really bad. I'm glad you're almost back to normal. Can't wait to see and hold those babies! Oh - you guys too, can't wait to see y'all either ;).
Post a Comment